Do YOU in June: DIY Abhyanga (ah-bee-yanga) Self Massage
The health benefits of the self-abhyanga can be achieved for less than ten minutes each day.
Benefits: Reduce Stress - Lower Blood Pressure - Improve Skin Health - Reduce Muscle Stiffness - Promotes Lymphatic Drainage - Increase Energy, Alertness, Physical Strength - Delay Age-Related Changes
During abhyanga, you’ll need to wear minimal clothing or wrap a towel around your body.
I found this youtube video that was helpful: https://youtu.be/_HQLsfZh5js
Here’s the general technique of an abhyanga self-massage:
- Using one of our topicals (REVIVE, BALANCE or RECOVER) and place the bottle in a basin of hot water. Warm the oil to just above body temperature. Stand on a mat or towel (whichever can be easily washed).
- 1.5oz of oil will usually cover the body with a light coating. Less is better than more. Feel free to warm extra ounces ahead of time if you end up needing more. The health benefits of stimulating the skin are equally as important as the therapeutic qualities of sesame oil.
- Pour a small amount of oil into a cupped hand, rub hands together then transfer the oil to your body.
- Start with the head. A scalp treatment every day feels wonderful and a mild shampoo is all that is needed to remove excess oil from the hair.
- Use circular motions on face and over joints, long strokes over open areas and along limbs. Massaging the ears, palms of the hands and soles of the feet will stimulate nerve endings to help balance energy pathways which lead to internal organs.
- To control headaches, massage the web between thumb and forefinger daily.
- Before moving off the towel or mat, wipe excess oil from the soles of your feet. Stand on a non-skid mat in the shower.
You’ll find that our REVIVE, BALANCE and RECOVER oil will completely absorb in about ten minutes as sesame oil is unique in the small size of molecules allowing it to penetrate into the skin easily. Relax for 10 minutes!
- Take a warm bath or shower. The heat of the water will speed absorption. Use a gentle cleanser/luffa to remove the oils on the surface of your skin.
- Dry with a fresh washcloth or towel to remove any excess oil and enjoy the beneficial effects of a self Abhyanga massage.